When it comes to cleaning the home, carpets are often a headache, since keeping them free of germs and in good condition is quite a challenge. This can be further complicated if you have covered parts of your floor with rugs or if there are children and pets at home. Therefore, knowing how to clean rugs or carpets at home is essential to have an elegant, beautiful, and impeccable home.
We offer you several alternatives to discover how to clean carpets dry and with other homemade products, thus saving time and money on cleaning products. Take note and follow the instructions below to learn how to clean carpets at home!
How to clean heavily soiled carpets
If you are wondering how to clean rugs at home and, more specifically, how to clean very dirty carpets that seem to be out of repair, you should know that everything is possible and that there are several methods to remove dust and dirt from carpets.
In addition to eliminating germs, impurities, and stains, it is important to keep the rugs in good condition, as any loose hole or thread can spoil the piece or even cause accidents.
The main thing to consider is what products to use to disinfect without damaging the tissues and how to leave a pleasant aroma in the space. Also, you must be clear on how to use each cleaning product to optimize its effect in each case.
Vacuum cleaners and bristle brushes are usually the best options for this task, however, here are some effective methods for cleaning carpets at home that you may not know so well. Let’s go there!
How to Clean Rugs with Baking Soda
Baking soda is ideal for cleaning all types of carpets since it does not damage fabrics and is one of the most effective products for cleaning the home. Also, if you are wondering how to dry clean carpets, you should know that baking soda is one of the fundamental products that you will need. To optimize its cleaning and disinfecting action, you will need:
- 100 grams of baking soda
- 100 grams of salt
Steps to follow:
- Carefully mix the baking soda with the salt until you get a uniform mixture.
- Spread the dust over the entire surface of the carpet.
- Let the mixture soak into the tissues for at least an hour.
- Vacuum the carpet, picking up all the particles in the mix, and you’ve already learned how to clean carpets with baking soda.
Baking soda helps free the tissue of dust and bacteria, greatly improving its odor and appearance. If you want to discover other uses of baking soda at home, don’t miss this other article from unCOMO. You will be able to use this incredible product for a large number of tasks!
How to clean carpets with ammonia
Ammonia is an ideal supplement to remove deep stains on resistant fabrics, mainly due to its incredible cleaning and disinfecting properties. To clean carpets with ammonia you will need the following ingredients:
- 100 ml ammonia
- A liter of warm water
- Liquid detergent for cleaning dishes
- A bristle brush
If you are wondering how to clean very dirty carpets, you should know that ammonia is your best ally. Follow the step by step that we present below:
- Put on gloves and prepare the mixture in a ventilated place. Ammonia is highly toxic, so inhalation and skin contact should be avoided.
- Mix 100ml of ammonia with one liter of warm (not boiling) water in a disposable container.
- Test the resistance of the fabric to the mixture in a small section of the carpet to avoid damaging it.
- Open the windows before you start cleaning the carpet so you don’t get dizzy with the smell of the mixture.
- Sprinkle the carpet in parts. Carefully rub each wet surface with a bristle brush, without applying too much scrubbing force. After a long time, you will see the stains on the carpet disappear completely.
Do you want more information about How to clean a carpet with ammonia? Check out this other article from this site.
How to Vacuum Carpet Cleaning
Steam is a great alternative for all types of carpets, as it quickly removes dust and impurities without damaging fabrics. If you are wondering how to clean carpets at home with a steamer, get the following materials:
- A steamer
- Baking soda with salt
- Detergent or vinegar
- A damp cloth
Let’s continue to see how to clean carpets with a steamer step by step:
- Clear all the areas you want to clean. Remove furniture and objects from the path.
- With a damp cloth, clean the baseboards, since by activating the steamer, dust accumulated in them can be released.
- Spread baking soda on the mat to optimize steam cleaning.
- Read the instructions for use of the steamer. Fill your tank with hot water (not boiling) and detergent or vinegar, according to the specifications of the appliance and your preferences when cleaning your home.
- Start vacuuming from the diagonal corner to the room’s front door.
- Slowly vacuum the entire surface and do it in lines, passing the steam wand twice through each area.
- Let the rug dry completely and you’re done, you’ve figured out how to dry clean rugs in another effective way.
Other homemade products for cleaning carpets at home
There are other ways to clean carpets with homemade products, ingredients to remove stains and impurities quickly and easily that you can surely easily get. Here are some homemade products for cleaning carpets at home:
Soda water: Mix water with soda in a container and spread the liquid all over the carpet. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then place the absorbent paper on the moistened surface. This method is ideal to avoid staining the carpet in case some liquid falls.
Vinegar water: Mix vinegar with hot water in a bowl. Water the mat with the liquid (you can use a sprayer) and rub the moistened surface with a bristle brush. This way you can easily spot your rugs and get rid of even the most problematic stains.
Cornstarch or Cornstarch: Sprinkle cornstarch (also known as cornstarch) on the carpet and let the product sit for 30 minutes before vacuuming. Lastly, brush the entire operated area with a dry brush. This method is ideal for removing grease and oil stains.
Oxygenated water and dishwasher detergent: For wine stains or other strong liquids, mix one tablespoon of your dishwasher detergent with a cup of hydrogen peroxide. Spread the mixture on the carpet and let it act for half an hour. Next, run a damp bristle brush over the mat and gently rub to remove the dirt before wiping the mixture dry. If you want more information on How to remove wine stains with hydrogen peroxide, don’t miss this other article.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to clean carpets at home, we recommend you visit our Home cleaning category.